Sunday, March 18, 2012

irish soda bread

Easy-peasy Irish soda bread is the latest item on the TWD: Baking with Julia agenda. I am reminded of the days of beer bread - who remembers beer bread?

These very simple, rustic Irish loaves are great for lazy rainy days, when you don't want to do much but snuggle under a blanket and read. I considered adding dried apricots but decided to go the purist route; only flour, soda, salt and buttermilk. The bread was so easy to make I was certain I had done something wrong. I took the admonishment to not 'overwork the dough' quite literally and ever so gently formed it into a sloppy, sticky disc. I did turn it a few times trying to find a smooth side for up, but finally gave in and just tossed it in the oven.


The flavor is very nice and while the bread is delicious slathered in Irish butter, I must admit I am rather jealous of the TWD:BWJ participants who went the extra mile with our last assignment and now have homemade lekvar to accompany their Irish soda bread.

I'm looking forward to toasted bread in the morning, but for now I will enjoy memories of a different time and a different girl who felt pretty cool making beer bread.

Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. It was really good with butter. Your butter-topped slice looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovel.
    And yes, the bread was good with the lekavar. I still have a couple of full jars in my refrigerator...

    ReplyDelete